020 Más natural que esta no hay

Finally I'm doing what I've been meaning to do for the last 60 days - a proper "what the heck I've been doing lately" -story time with exclusive photos of Bariloche on top of some other pictures that you are probably not going to find on Facebook. It's a good thing that I've been keeping an almost-daily diary of my life, because I seriously can't even remember properly what happened yesterday, let alone a few weeks ago...

Here's a quick summary of what's been up and what down since I last posted something in here:

  • I've been to movie theatre with two of my close exchange friends. We went to see En el tornado, which I think is translated as "Into the storm" in English?? Nonetheless, the movie was surprisingly good but what made the experience hundred times more special was the increidble sound quality in the four stories high Monster Screen theatre and the seat rows that mounted steep enough to not have anyone's head stick out in the middle of your viewing experience. An of course the company was great, which made the whole night even more special ♥
  • I watched River and Boca play in soaking wet football field in superclásico. You heard right. I get that it was too late to cancel the game but seriously?? The field was so full of water that the players kept on falling and sliding in the field, and the ball didn't move like it's supposed to. Nonetheless, it was interesting to see how the whole country seemed to stop ad watch the game. In the end, everyone supports one of the two teams.
  • I actually played football in a soaking wet football field myself. Okay, it wasn't nearly as bad as the game of superclásico, but imagine playing in a field full of sand, that has partially turned to mud, with a ball that is wet and throwing the mud all over whenever you kick it? ... It's super awesome, especially with my team who knows how to have fun and enjoy the game!
  • I've gone through the ups and downs of an exchange year thanks to the oh-so-famous language barrier& (highly possible) weight gain + a lot of other things such as skin problems, lack of sleep (oops, my bad!) and simply feeling blue without any particular reason. It's all part of an exchange student and I know these things and feelings are okay to have, but I know there is a lot that I can do to make things better, I just need to get off my lazy ass and do it.
  • I've suddenly started to understand and speak spanish more. Right after I thought I had reached the bottom and had enoguh of constantly trying and failing and not seeing any improvement in my language skills, I suddenly got the hang of it. I feel like I'm a little kid again, mimicking and absorbing the Argentinian manners, words and pronounciation and repeating everything after seeing them and trying to get it right. The words and things I've heard so many times are finally sinking in my head. The language come a bit more naturally now and even when writing things occasional Spanish words pop into my mind first and only then the English (or in rare cases, Finnish) substitute. 
  • I've started to have spanish classes regularly with a group and actually gotten a proper book for once! It's more fun now, and I feel more motivated. I had already studied most of the grammar in Finland, but I need some serious repetition to strengthen what I already know. This has been really important to me, because the more I repeat, the more confident I become and that leads to me speaking more. Not only that, but making mistakes in a safe environment like my classroom, where I know I won't be judged, gives me the courage to keep on making mistakes outside the classroom in order to learn and perfect my skills.
  • I experienced a meteorologic freak show. One day I went shopping with my host family. At one point my host dad said it's storming outside. Suddenly the sky was filled with clouds and I could hear the lightnings. It starts to get really windy outside and the next thing I know, it's hailing (while the wind being super strong) until the streets are competely white. Then comes the pouring rains, making the sidewalks really slippery and streets filled with water. I kid you not I've never seen anything like it. Water came inside to the shop where we were from between the walls and the floor and also from the ceiling lights. How is that even possible?! When we were driving home, at some point it felt like we were in a boat rather than a pick-up truck. I felt sorry for all the tiny cars out there in the enter of the city.... And to make this story a little bit more epic than it already was: this all happened in 15 minutes.
Aaaaand then to the "actual" news, which was our trip to Bariloche for the extended weekend that we had. It was just a week ago but it sure feels like two weeks, probably because of the busy weekend that I had. I loved how our long weekend in Bariloche wasn't that full of hussle and hurry, so we could actually just relax with my host family and have fun without any tight schedule.I know I posted a lot of pictures to facebook, but on purpose I didn't put just all the best ones there - I wanted to save them for those who actually bothered to (at least) look at my blog. Thank you for reading this far - here's your reward:

















































































































































































Saturday 11/10/2014
We had gotten to Bariloche the previous night and slept like babies after settling down with our spacious cottage/apartment in Villa Huinid. after breakfast we went to the center of the town, where we saw St. Bernard dogs! They were so calm, didn't mind anything. We got to pet and hold a puppy that, despite being a young puppy, did weigh a lot. We took a few pictures with them and then left to do some shopping. What I noticed right away in Bariloche was that there's a lot of people advertising outside their shop, trying to get you in their shop. That doesn't happen here in Neuquén, thankfully. I never know how to say "I'm not interested at all" in the most nicest way possible, since the people have to deal with rejection multiple times throughout the day, week and year.
Well, I ended up buying a pair of shorts, sweatpants, bikinis and a technical shirt (?). I was surprised of the offering there. Compared to Finland where we have these certain big companies selling clothes, Here in Argentina there's a lot of small entrepreneurs who all have different selection. Of course you can find big companies here, too, but small shops that actually success are far more rare in Finland than here.
Well, we went to eat this little restaurant called Friends, that sure was unique with all the old toys, dolls and items hanging from the wall. After that we went up to the top of a small mountain with a cable car, and the view was absolutely incredible! To be honest I got a bit emotional just staring at the big lake and all the mountains...
Later in the evening we went to swim in the pool in my hotel. And guess what? THEY HAD A SAUNA THERE!! I was so excited about and it felt so good to be in a sauna first time in Argentina! It was a poorly made sauna. the stove there for almost just for creating the look of a sauna. It didn't have more than four or five stones, where as in Finland it is full of hot stones. There wasn't any option to throw water on the stove, so the it was more like a hot and dry room that was imitating a sauna. Nevertheless I felt proud of ou sauna culture in Finland and I taught a thing or two relating it, like in the winter time we go into the ice cold water between the sauna sessions, or the health effects of this tradition. Closer to the midnight we went out to eat to a restaurant called Dirty Dick's. Nevermind the name being a bit thought-provoking the food was good and company even better!

Sunday 12/10/3014
Lazy morning after a rough night (both me and Fer were sick from the stomach) we almost stayed in the cottage, not knowing what to do. After a while of googling Fer figured out what we could and should do, and so we went to a tour in the lake and a few islands. On our way to the first island we all got on the deck where we had the opportunity to give crackers to seagulls and take pictures of the activity. It was cool how the flock followed the boat and seemed really used to this tradition. The birds knew how the snitch the crackers without nibbling your fingertips. It was really weird experience since seagulls are quite a bother, stealing food right under your nose.. You definitely don't give them more food in Finland!
In the islands we walked a lot in the forest, huge old trees casting over us. The water on the beach was crystal clear and views once again almost too much to take in. Like my host dad said, "más natral que esta no hay" which means there's no place more natural than where we were on that moment. I was just so happy to be walking in a forest after such a long time and breath fresh air. Something I've previously taken for granted and now grown to appreciate about Finland is how the nature is close to yo. Wherever you are, you don't have to look far to find a forest or a lake. Maybe the views are quite as impressing as in Bariloche, but they are definitely worth mentioning.
After not having my Finnish flag with me in the cable car trip, I was waving it all the time during our tour. There was a class on a trip and doing a tour at the same time as us, and when I was posing in the forest with people walking past me, one of the students actually recognized Finland's flag. I praised the guy, who got applauds from his class mates. Later I heard the word "Finland" being yelled a lot of times and one of the students actually came up to me and asked me to take a picture of us with the flag. This was the first time I got attention like that outside school, but also the first time someone actually saw me with a foreign flag in public, if you don't count the time I was at the wine farm with my host family.
Again, at night we went to a restaurant, that supposedly is a place where a lot of famous people go when visiting Bariloche. It was fancy but comfy, and the service was good, not to mention the food. They had this weird thing that you use to call the waiter or ask for the check. We had our fun with it, and I was happy to realize that just like my family in Finland, we don't always know how to be the most sophisticated and serious in places like that. People here know hos to have fun with a good taste.

Monday 13/10/2014
Last day in Bariloche. We didn't have any hurry to leave, so we went to the center of the town again to take pictures and buy presents. We bought a lot of chocolate, since Bariloche is famous for it's chocolate. To be honest, the chocolate that we bought wasn't exactly special or insanely different, but it sure was good and maybe, maybe had this slightly distinctive taste. I'm not exactly certain, but one thing is for sure - chocolate is one of the trademarks of Bariloche. Wherever you go, you will find a chocolate shop within the block. We went to swim again and tried to sauna one more time before going to eat for the last time to this restaurant that was and is my favourite of all time. The walls were full of beer mats that had greetings from people all over the world, and of course we had to leave our own print there, too! I love milanesa, but that was the first time that I tried it in the form of a pizza: cheese and tomato on top of the meat. I've taken notice how much cheese (and mayonnaise) these people put in almost everything. Too bad that I'm not too big of a fan of cheese, so it makes me ill easily. Still, the milanesa was excellent.

So, that is how my trip in Bariloche was. Next time I'll be telling you how I travelled 40 hours (altogether) to get together with 23 other exchange students! Until then, have a good day wherever you are ♥

0 comments :